YOUR DERBY SUCCESS CHALLENGE:
DREAM IT. PLAN IT. DO IT.
Roller derby + goal setting = derby success. When you set goals, you put your focus on where you want to go and consciously commit to your growth.
Goals provide you with the structure, focus and constant motivation, which helps ensure your continual progress. Following a goal setting system helps ensure you don’t get lost on your way to derby success.
7 steps to Goal Setting Success
1. See it – Choose a skill or habit you want to focus on. Create a clear and vivid mental picture of your future accomplishment.
2. Find Inspiration – Find yourself examples to inspire and guide yourself. Your teammates or how-to derby videos are a great place to look.
3. Plan your Path – Break your bigger longer-term goals into little goals. Plan the process and ensure each step is reasonable and manageable. Small improvements over time add up.
4. Map it out – Record your goal in clear and simple terms. Use positive words. The action of recording your goals reinforces your intent to complete it.
5. Identify – Set steps that help you know when you are on track, and when you are done. Tracking your progress can help build your confidence and motivate you to keep going.
6. Display – Put your goals where you can see them. Every time you see them you further reinforce your commitment to making it a reality..
7. Reflect – Take the time to see how far you have come and consider adjusting your goals. It’s ok to do more of what is working, and less of what’s not.
There are many ways you can set goals in derby. Choose one and start:
Practice goals: Aim for a skill you want to achieve at each practice. Start small and build success by choosing small attainable goals. Eg. I will stop on my weaker side every drill throughout practice tonight.
Bout goals: Take time to reflect the night before you bout. Remember to complete all the steps in the above list when setting your goals. Eg. I will communicate with my team clearly and calmly.
Team goals: This is a great practice to do with your team as well. Take time the practice before a game to set teams goals. Eg. Lightning fast switches from Offense to Defense
Season goals: Take time to reflect on your past season, choose at least 3 things that worked, and 3 things you want to work on. Then, look forward to where you want to be at the end of your next season. Commit to the process of the steps above.
Become a goal setting master! Take time to put the above steps into practice and derby success is SURE to be yours.
P.S. – Did you know that our roller derby logbook, My BoutBook is designed to help you set goals? You can learn more at www.myboutbook.com